Saturday, November 29, 2014

Winter running tips

In the winter, I like to continue running outside. Over the years, I have modified my approach to running outside. Here are a few tips:

1. Make sure you have layers. If the temperature gets below 30 degrees, it's important you stay warm. The layers will help you a ton.
2. Protect your hands, face and head. Gloves/mittens, a hat and face mask can help protect you. You may worry that the face mask will get in the way of your oxygen intake.   It may a little, but it's worth it in the long run (no pun intended). 
3. YAKTRAX or something to get a grip. Ice can hide this time of year and it can really hurt or set you back. I highly recommend that you wear something like YAKTRAX. 
4. If it is too cold and feels dangerous, stay inside. OK- I have a tough time with this. However, you can skip a workout, hit the treadmill or get creative. I read the other day that successful people don't die in the fight, meaning they know when to exit. This applies to running in dangerous cold. You will know when it's too dangerous.
5. Stay hydrated. Layering your clothing can be deceptive in assessing your sweat level. You will lose more water than you think, stay hydrated! 
6. Have fun and stay focused. You have worked hard to keep your mileage up all year, don't let the elements or the holidays get in the way of your progress. 

Over the past couple of weeks, I have struggled with my motivation and dreamed up some "excuses". However, my partner in crime reminded me by telling me that I am becoming "Mr. Excuse". Thanks for keeping me motivated Teri:) 

It got me out the door all week. 



Image source: 
http://blog.altrazerodrop.com/tips/winter-running/

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Breaking News
Loading...
Quick Message
Press Esc to close
Copyright © 2013 Marathon: My personal journey All Right Reserved