Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Did I take BEAST MODE too far on National Running Day?

So today I got an early start and was all smiles out the door, as it is national running day! I had a five mile run ahead....I was running in FULL BEAST MODE, listening to some good tunes and my trusty Nike plus app.

On top of it, I used the Charity Miles app to generate some funding and goodwill for autism today. It makes me feel good to share the gift of running and giving back to charities. Last night, my wife and I were talking about recent reports of a black bear sighted in our county and last year we had a mountain lion too. This always puts a little "extra" edge on an early morning run.




It's all good for me though, as it's national running day, I am having a great workout....and I can't stop smiling since being mentioned by Shalane Flanagan (+ShalaneFlanagan). As a double bonus, through the Nike Plus Shalane told me I was close to my goal and you know that made me run even faster- WOO HOO! 

I get to a point where I want to switch songs for better speed and confidence. My go to song is "Black" by Sevendust (https://www.facebook.com/sevendustofficial). This song straight up rocks and is just the prescription for me to really zoom. I am looking down at my phone, and this is a familiar spot for me on my route.

While there is a brief moment of silence, BOOM! I am greeted by a possum that ran out of this grassy area! Talk about BEAST MODE!!! This scared the ever living daylights out of me. My phone dropped, headphones flew out, my heart was racing out of my chest and I was a mess. Seriously, I thought I was going to lose bodily function at this point. I had this startled look.

Honestly, I don't know what would have been worse, a black bear, a mountain lion or the fierce possum. This isn't the possum, but it looks pretty close. Even the possum was getting into the national running day- who knew? This little guy was super fast!


As my run finished, I was greeted one last time by Shalane (+ShalaneFlanagan) on the Nike Plus app. She told me that I have a three day streak, keep it up and BOOM! The BOOM part is probably my #1 used phrase (I say BOOM SHAKKA LAKKA), so you know I loved that!

In any event, happy national running day. When running in full BEAST MODE, be careful. Even the wild beasts can get in the mix. Don't fret...they just like getting in the action too. I hope your running adventures keep you smiling!
:)

Cori from Olive to Run has a cool "linkup" for bloggers on this awesome day. Check out the site:
http://olivetorun.com/

Image Source:




3 comments:

  1. Glad you got your run in today!! OMG! I would totally freak out if an opossum crossed my path! There was one time I was running on a trail in Ohio and a dear came charging out of the forest and crossed within like 20 ft of me and I almost peed my pants! I was on full alert the rest of the run!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy national running day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL this made me laugh multiple times. Thanks for joining in and linking up!

    ReplyDelete

Breaking News
Loading...
Quick Message
Press Esc to close
Copyright © 2013 Marathon: My personal journey All Right Reserved