Monday, August 4, 2014

Dealing with difficulties

It is inevitable. You will have some serious challenges or difficulties. In fact, you will likely have a run or two that is VERY difficult. 

Let me be more specific. The run is so difficult that you start to question yourself, your technology, your shoes, your approach and your sanity. Today was like that for me. I ran five miles and you would think it was an ultra marathon. 

At mile 3 I started to turn on my beloved technology and music too. When I say "turn on", I don't mean turn them on. I mean I was ready to ditch them. WHOA! This is not good. I have run three different full marathons and have been down this road before. Here is what I am going to do:

1. See this as a positive. The marathon is difficult and runs like this will help me deal with the difficulty later. 
2. Focus on forward. Tomorrow is another day. I will come back stronger and more focused. 
3. Smile. When you smile, anything gets easier. I forgot to do this today.
4. Remember your perspective. It's a privilege to run. Some people aren't as lucky. If you have a bad run, don't beat yourself up about it. Realize that we are so lucky and make it a good one. 
5. Focus on the goal of training. The marine corps marathon awaits me in October. I will run with a passion and purpose. This will be my BEST race ever- OORAH!

For any of you who are training for a full marathon, I hope this helps. If you aren't formally training, this can help too. Enjoy yourself and have fun!


1 comments:

  1. I see we are training for the same marathon! Thanks for posting your link. This isn't my first go at training, i'm not a novice, so bad runs shouldn't surprise me, but it's amazing how they can still get you down. I should be thankful that this is my main worry....I am healthy and have a healthy family. Sometimes you just need a little perspective. I'm ready to crush my tempo run tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete

Breaking News
Loading...
Quick Message
Press Esc to close
Copyright © 2013 Marathon: My personal journey All Right Reserved