Saturday, December 21, 2013

Smile


Over the years, smiles and smiling have been a topic in science, business, personal improvement and athletics. Wait…Athletics? Is it OK to smile during sports? How often do you see an athlete smiling during competition?

Four years ago, I set out to run a challenging half marathon in Dubuque, Iowa. The reason for the challenge…it tracks through the infamous Eagle Point Park. Cut out of the Bluffs, it’s a course that is not for the feint of heart. Interestingly, I was in the sign up line and the runner in front of me complained to the lady taking the sign up forms/checks.

How did she respond? She lit him up verbally. She said “you chose to run this race, I suggest you smile for a change…enjoy it…..other people would go to great lengths to be able to run”.

I must admit, I was on the same track as the runner before me. Sheepishly, I paid my due and signed up. As I walked to my car to get my gear, I thought about the exchange and how I should take the advice.
For me the result was a smile throughout the race and I broke  a personal record. The icing on the cake for me was the fact that my wife and young son cheered me on for the last 1/10th of a mile. It was a special moment I will never forget. I have the power of smiling to thank and the sign up lady.

Smiling during the run lifted my mood and got me to really enjoy the course mentally. It reminded me of an old hitting coach that preached for us to smile during an at bat. He claimed that it was impossible to blink when smiling big. As a hitter, you could see the ball better when smiling.

Smiling in business is a great thing. Smiling communicates confidence and signals that you are a happy and pleasant person. If you are in sales, this bodes well. People love buying from confident and happy people. Try this sometime. Randomly smile at someone at work. Instinctively, they will smile back.
Imagine the gift you just gave them. Confidence and happiness was just transferred. It may not last long, but if you make it a habit….you will spread it for a long time.

If you are wondering, I am smiling while I hit send. J

Have a great day!
Jim 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Breaking News
Loading...
Quick Message
Press Esc to close
Copyright © 2013 Marathon: My personal journey All Right Reserved