Monday, January 13, 2014

A courageous 8 year old girl

Today, I learned that one of my favorite coaches in the world passed away. His name was Norm Parker and he was a legend in college football. I was fortunate to meet him a few times over the years. As I reflected on this loss of a tremendous human being and a coach, I remember this exchange during a fan fest. I could tell that Norm had a ton of courage and loved the “moxy” of the young lady.

During a Fan Fest, Norm was talking to a group of fifty fans. He asked if anyone had questions for him and immediately an eight year old girl popped up and here is a summary of the exchange:

Girl: Mr. Parker, my uncle and my brother wanted to ask you why you don’t blitz more, but they were afraid to ask you.

Norm: First, I applaud you for having the courage to ask such a difficult question for your brother and your uncle. Blitzing is like throwing a toaster into a full bathtub with someone in it. If the toaster is unplugged, then they will be OK. If it is plugged in, then it’s over. The same thing is true with blitzing, so we play it cautious. It comes down to the situation and your personnel match-ups.  

Girl: OK.

Norm: Wait- don’t you have a question for yourself?

Girl: Yes…why do our corner backs give such a big cushion and why don’t your corner backs play more press coverage?

I will elaborate on that answer later this week. Norm Parker- you were always such a class act. You loved your players, the fans and the game. I will always remember your advice about the journey vs. the result. It will stay with me for a very long time. My dad loved you and your style. I have no doubt that you both are up in heaven talking about the hawks and defensive strategy. Rest in Peace.


  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Breaking News
Loading...
Quick Message
Press Esc to close
Copyright © 2013 Marathon: My personal journey All Right Reserved