Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Learn to Finish!


A day before I turned 40, I ran my first full marathon in Chicago. It was special because I was able to run in the city I grew up in, my entire family was there to see me run, and I learned a ton about myself. I thought the most special part of the race was going to be “crossing the finish line”. During my training, I would “visualize” what the finish would be like.

As a new father (my son was 1.5 years old), the most special part was the moment I saw my son and got to hold him. The run was great, grueling, demanding and took everything that I had and more. When I held my son, I forgot about any of the pains, trials and triumphs. He was the most important to me.  

Today, my wife sent me this picture and it took me back. It says a thousand words to me. As my son grows, I strive to be the best father and example for him. I will show him this picture and tell him about the joy I had. 

I will tell him that toughness is earned through preparation and performing is all about execution. When you execute and finish, the feeling is immeasurable. Learning how to finish is a test of your commitment. When you commit to something, you can do anything!

This was the lesson running a marathon taught me. It is often said that once you cross the finish line of a marathon, you will never be the same. From experience, this is so true. To my family and friends, thank you for supporting me.

I look forward to a killer racing season and many more memories.

Run strong- Jim

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Breaking News
Loading...
Quick Message
Press Esc to close
Copyright © 2013 Marathon: My personal journey All Right Reserved