Saturday, May 17, 2014

Home or Away?

As many of you know, I am a BIG Iowa Hawkeye football fan. The Hawks are great when they play at home. The crowd really helps them out. I have run and finished the Chicago marathon 3 times. Since I am from Chicago, it’s like playing a home game for me. I know the area, love the scenery, and enjoy the fact that I see my family and friends. The crowd gets me through. Even the restaurants are even familiar to me, which rocks!  

A marathon is intimidating, as it tests your physiology and mind. It’s the supreme test of planning, execution and will power. I like to say you have to “earn the finish line”.

This Fall I will be playing my first “away” game. It is the Marine Corps Marathon, and I am so excited and nervous. I am nervous because the course is different, the process will be different and I don’t know yet what to expect. I have started my studies of the course, timing, etc. I have discovered what they call “beat the bridge”. It means you have to reach the 20 mile mark at a certain point or you get picked up by a bus or have to run in traffic. I know- no joking with me on getting picked up by a bus or running in traffic J
This brings me back to a very important point. You can only work with what you can control. I will know focus all of my efforts on myself and conditioning. I will be ready. I will train differently. I will beat the bridge. I like to visualize things, so it’s important to see the bridge. If you are interested, it’s pictured below.

Hey bridge, see you in October- it’s going to be a defining moment!



Image source:


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Breaking News
Loading...
Quick Message
Press Esc to close
Copyright © 2013 Marathon: My personal journey All Right Reserved