Sunday, March 9, 2014

Emotions of running a marathon

One of the most fun aspects of running relates to the mix of emotions generated during the run. It starts with amazing anticipation. As you sit in the start corral, you could literally cut it with a knife. It’s so intense. Then the race starts and you begin to really feel yourself get excited beyond words and you are not alone. People cheer, clap and go crazy. At the bigger marathons, you see people as far as your eyes can see. Chicago is and will always be my favorite. I am from there, and it’s such a special place to run a full marathon.

As your journey progresses, you get consumed by the drama of the endeavor. You see people triumph and fail. Spectator’s hold signs up. Family members hold signs cheering on their mom’s, dad’s, sisters, brothers, etc. Some of the signs will choke you up. A child holding a sign that says “Mommy is my hero- I am so proud of you” will do it every time! You will find funny signs and ones that purely motivate you beyond words.

At some point, you will have the emotion of self-doubt. It’s not a fun emotion, but you quickly get rid of that and think of the finish. It may be 2,8,10 or .2 miles away, but the best emotion starts to hit you. It’s a sense of pride and accomplishment.

My Dad always told me to “act like you have been there before” and to not showboat. It’s hard for me sometimes, as I am a REALLY excitable person and I really love people. I have run three different full marathons. The first two, I took my Dad’s advice. For my third, I took a different approach. I ran toward the end and screamed at the crowd, got them to raise their arms up, told them we needed them to cheer and they sure did. I kept screaming “let’s take this to the shack”.

It was my favorite saying my Dad and I used to say about our beloved Hawkeyes when they would score a long touchdown. Announcers would say take it to the house, but we would editorialize and say “take it to the shack” or “shack it”. You have a prideful and fun moment at the end.

At Chicago you are greeted by volunteers who place the medal around your neck. It’s one of the best feelings of accomplishments. The finish is a big staging area and you talk to runners, console them, high five each other, scream loud things, and then try to find your family and friends. The finality of the event leaves you with a mixture of feelings. You may want to laugh, sigh, cry or any one number of things. It’s possible to have all of them at once too.

You have just experienced what it’s like to join the 1% of the worldwide population that has finished a marathon, so it’s natural. If you aspire to run one someday, I sure hope you do. It will be a great workout of your emotions. Imagine me telling you to "take it to the shack!"


Image source:


Image source:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Breaking News
Loading...
Quick Message
Press Esc to close
Copyright © 2013 Marathon: My personal journey All Right Reserved