Saturday, March 1, 2014

Work with what you have!

A few days ago, I wrote about my 2011 Chicago Marathon experience. I started cramping at mile 14. A few of you asked me how did it go from there and what were the lessons. Thank you for asking! I learned a valuable lesson during the race.
  1. I pushed myself way too hard for the conditions. It was hot and my time goal was aggressive.
  2. I had to eat my own advice and not worry about time, but I focused on finishing.
  3. Self-talk helped me through the dire circumstance. I used my visualization of the finish.

Well, it was my best finish. People asked me about the time, and for about 5 seconds it was difficult to talk about it. People would snicker and say “that long?” I had to remember that finishing a full marathon was the only real goal and it’s something that people may do once in a lifetime. I switched my attitude and talked about the finish with great pride. I have run better races in my career, but this will always be my best finish. Here’s why:
  1. The lessons above will travel with me for a lifetime.
  2. I faced adversity and won- big time!
  3. I learned how to “work with what I have and appreciate it”.

During the race, I had such a bad cramp and I looked into the crowd and a lady was terrified. She screamed “Oh no, he is really hurt”. I assured her I was OK, but you could tell it was painful for me and those in the audience.



 Toward the end, I saw my entire family at mile 25. I was so glad to see of them (thank you for all of the support over the years- you amaze me with your love). I felt bad because my son cried because he thought I was hurt. It was a dramatic scene, but the finish was so sweet. When you put your name down for anything, commit yourself and finish the job. You will love yourself for it!

…and for those really curious, I finished the 2011 Chicago Marathon at 6 hours 9 minutes 6 seconds. The next year, I set a personal record. Notice, I didn't tell you what that time was. I am more proud of the 2011 finish.

Run strong!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Breaking News
Loading...
Quick Message
Press Esc to close
Copyright © 2013 Marathon: My personal journey All Right Reserved