Sunday, July 27, 2014

Personal record 10K run at the Big10K

This weekend I ran in the BIG10K in Chicago. I ran for my beloved Iowa Hawkeyes. My goal was to beat my previous record. I knew it was going to be difficult.

I used my lessons from the past to dictate the outcome. Late in the race, I was starting to get tired. I will share my strategy and thoughts in hopes that it may help you with running or business. The thoughts and strategies apply to both:)
Here is what I changed:
1. I had a vision and goal for the entire race.
2. In the first half, I ran to the exact goal and knew where I was the entire time.
3. The race was extremely crowded. I took my shots to pass people. I would say "don't these people know I want to PR" or "don't get in the way of my PR"
4. I thought about giving the full effort. It was the first time competing with a Hawkeye shirt and I had to live up to the colors. I thought about guys like Matt Roth, Mitch King, Bob Saunders, Norm Parker, Chris Doyle, Chris White or Kirk Ferentz. Would they be proud of my effort?
5. I thought about me being a second half runner. It's a mentality of toughness. Run the second better than the first half. 
6. Self talk. I told myself that I was trained and deserve it. I thought about all of my coaches and mentors. 
7. I managed the traffic. People were jamming me here and there. I had to get tough in the trench. Two runners kept trying to nudge me out and I had to really work on getting through. I put on the jets late and toasted them.
8. I used my ab training to get me through a tough stretch. All of the core work helped me succeed Brit!!!!! Thank you!
9. I visualized a successful race. Every second counted and I made it count. 
10. At the end, I ran very hard through the finish. I knew I had the PR, but I ran like I was behind. I attacked the finish line. The result felt amazing!

This race was a success and I can't thank you all enough. Teri and Nile were troopers with the 6 hour drive in to Chicago. To all of the hawk runners and fans, I am proud of you all. 

I ran like a true hawk on Saturday and that made me feel great.

Go hawks!



Image source:
http://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/2010/2/26/1313343/the-aughts-in-review-lets-go-bowlin

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Breaking News
Loading...
Quick Message
Press Esc to close
Copyright © 2013 Marathon: My personal journey All Right Reserved