Thursday, July 24, 2014

TBT

You have to love #TBT. It's throw back Thursday. As many of you may or may not know, I love the game of golf. As a high school athlete (picture below), I played golf almost every day I could. What is interesting to me about golf and my high school career boils down to four things:

1. Do the work! I worked a bunch of terrible jobs to pay for my golf clubs and membership. I cleaned ovens for an entire year, yes an entire year. I washed dishes, worked in a freezer. The golf....I enjoyed every minute of it and really worked hard at getting better. Yes- the picture below features the first Taylor Made "Pittsburgh Persimmon". I still have the club too. You can't part with something you worked so hard to get. 
2. Back in the day, golf was not popular. Today it is. Some people would say "golf isn't a sport". Our coach called us great students and athletes. We loved playing for him. 
3. Hard work, self belief and dreams pay off. I missed the tryouts as a freshman, cut as a sophomore, and had to work like crazy to make the varsity team. I made the team against all of the odds. It's a great story about a young man who was determined to prove he deserved a spot on the team. I am eternally grateful to my Mom, Dad, sisters and friends. They all supported me and stuck by me. You all rock! 
4. Caddyshack rocks. Each guy on our team resembled a character from the movie. It made our time together so much fun. I always smile when I watch that movie. 

This blog post is dedicated to Todd Auskalnis. I played golf with Todd, and he passed away unexpectedly in late 2013. To me, he was a great friend,and teammate. He was a loving father and husband. He was a great son and brother. We will all miss you. Godspeed my man. Rest in peace.  



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Breaking News
Loading...
Quick Message
Press Esc to close
Copyright © 2013 Marathon: My personal journey All Right Reserved