Wednesday, April 23, 2014

The reason for a plan

In running a half or full marathon or any other race of significant distance, it is critical that you plan! Here are a few things to identify in your planning:

  • The race course- is it flat, hilly? Where are the hills? 
  • Water stations- Hydrating during your race is mission critical. A solid plan for the water stations will help you figure out how to keep hydrated. 
  • Aid stations/Porta potty's- Hopefully, you will only need the porta potty. However, it is good to know where the aid stations are, in the event you become injured and need help. 
  • Weather- I map out the weather two weeks before a big race. This determines how much gear and the variety of gear. 
  • Wind- It may not seem like it would matter much, but it does. Does your course encounter frequent wind? Accounting for the wind can help you monitor your pace. 
  • What time does the race start? What time will you get to the start corral? I would give yourself plenty of time. 
  • Contingency plans- Mentally get yourself prepared for the inevitable and figure out how you might deal with it. In my racing past, I have encountered the following surprises:
    • Rain
    • Snow
    • Extreme heat
    • Cramps
    • Injuries
    • Wind
    • iPod battery goes dead too early
    • I forgot to take my nutrition at the right time
In each case of contingency, I had to mentally dig deep and physically plan for an impacted race. It helped me focus on the finish!

As a finisher of three full marathons, I can say each race was unique and different. The experience helped me become a better planner and better runner! Your plan will dictate success!!!

This article/link does a great job of addressing tips for racing.
http://running.competitor.com/2014/03/training/13-1-tips-for-running-your-best-half-marathon_95975/11

Image source:
http://cargocollective.com/odette/Harcourt-Battle-of-Marathon

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Breaking News
Loading...
Quick Message
Press Esc to close
Copyright © 2013 Marathon: My personal journey All Right Reserved